Singles Day is an annual event celebrated on November 11th that has become the world’s largest ecommerce sales day. The event was originally created by Chinese university students in the 1990s as a celebration of single life, but it has since been co-opted by major ecommerce platforms like Alibaba as a day for massive discounts and sales. If you’re thinking of participating in this year’s Singles Day sales, here are 5 things you should know:
1. Singles Day is big…really big. In 2018, Alibaba recorded $30.8 billion in sales on Singles Day, which eclipsed Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined. This year, they’re expecting to surpass that record with $31.3 billion in sales. So if you’re looking for some serious discounts, Singles Day is the time to find them.
2. Singles Day is held on November 11th because the date consists of four “ones,” which symbolize being single. The holiday has since evolved beyond just celebrating singleness and has become a day for major ecommerce retailers to offer massive discounts on their products and services.
3. While it originated in China, Singles Day has become a global event in recent years. In 2018, Alibaba’s platform processed orders from more than 180 countries and regions around the world. And this year, they’re expecting even more international participation with an estimated 200 million global shoppers taking part in the event.
4. If you’re planning on participating in this year’s Singles Day sales, start preparing now. Alibaba typically releases a list of participating merchants a few weeks before the event, so you’ll want to make sure you’re familiar with who’s offering what before the big day arrives. Plus, many retailers start offering early bird specials and other promotions leading up to Singles Day, so there’s no need to wait until November 11th to start shopping around.
5. Finally, remember that while Singles Day can be a great time to snag some killer deals, it’s also important to shop responsibly and only buy what you need (and can afford). With such massive discounts available, it can be tempting to go overboard and rack up a sizable credit card bill that you’ll be struggling to pay off for months to come. So think carefully about your purchases and only buy what you know you’ll use or need—otherwise, you might regret it later on down the road.
Whether you’re looking for some serious discounts on your holiday shopping or just want to participate in the biggest ecommerce event of the year, keep these 5 things in mind and get ready to shop ’til you drop on November 11th—Singles Day!
LIKE THIS POST? LEAVE US A COMMENT, LIKE & SHARE