Indonesia is one of the 10 largest garment manufacturing countries in the world. Indonesian apparel and textile industry are worth almost 17 billion USD. Over 60% of the manufactured clothing is exported, and many global labels have their manufacturing base in Indonesia. International brands like Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, H&M, Uniqlo, all source their products from Indonesia.
Indonesia has 13670 islands and is the fourth most populous country on the globe. The industry has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 50 years and today there are a large variety of products that are manufactured and exported by Indonesia such as footwear and shoes, wooden goods and furniture, clothing, apparel, and garments, rubber products, machinery and equipment, gems and precious metals, etc.
The archipelago of Indonesia stretches from the island of Sumatra in the west to New Guinea in the east. The island of Java with its capital Jakarta, and Bandung and Sukabumi are the central hub of the textile industry. Sulawesi, Sumatra, and Bali are also very important production centers. Some clothing products manufactured in Indonesia are swimwear, resort wear, yoga wear, kids and babywear, jeans, hoodies, polo shirts, women’s dresses, etc. The fashion industry in Indonesia has not only been growing but also thriving over the past few decades. Local Indonesian clothing brands offer high-quality clothes at very affordable prices. Therefore, famous global fashion brands, too, get their products manufactured in Indonesia.
The following are some local Indonesian garment brands that have made a name for themselves:
- S&F Garment Manufacturing: This is an Australian-owned company that provides high quality, ethical, garments from formal wear to streetwear at affordable rates.
- Sritex: A huge Java-based company, Sritex, produces more than 8 million pieces of garment a year, supplying to big-time international labels like Uniqlo, Guess, and H&M.
- Yogi & Boo Clothing Manufacturer: Based in Bali, this company was established in 1987. It offers ethical and sustainable fabric printing, dyeing, patterns sampling, and distribution. Its product line includes man’s and women’s resort wear, swimwear, kids, infants and babywear, yoga wear and activewear, among others.
- PT Tyfountex: The company was set up in 1973, but their mill has been operating for more than 100 years. It has vast experience in eco-friendly spinning, weaving, dyeing, finishing, and embroidery. Its products include yarns, colored fabrics, denim, organic cotton, garments, and home textiles.
- Buddha Wear: This is a label from Bali that includes yoga wear to everyday wear, which has chic designs in simple colors and has great fitting. Buddha Wear clothes are made for women with integrity interested in sustainable fashion.
- Easytees Bali: An apparel company based in Bali, this company has more than 20 years experience. Their product range includes a large selection of high-quality, handcrafted T-shirts. Their Easy Dry sports line is supplied to the sports industry like Rugby, Soccer, Hockey, Swimming, etc.
The following are ten other top local Indonesian brands that have built up an enviable reputation in the fashion Industry.
- Shining Bright
- Get Dirrty
- Cotton Ink
- Posh the Label
- Seratus Kapas
- Public Culture
- Argyle & Oxford
- Day & Night
- Beatrice Clothing
Many more local Indonesian brands manufacture high-end clothes, sportswear, casual everyday wear, and streetwear. Indonesia is gradually becoming a country to reckon with in South Asia and the global fashion industry.
LIKE THE POST?